Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a vw golf sdi 54, bought just over 2 months, I do quite

Customer Question

I have a vw golf sdi 54, bought just over 2 months, I do quite a bit of milage with my job, it has now broken down on average once a week! normally when on motorway or decelerating to come off, engine just dies on me, have called the AA out 3 times they can not diagnose the problem, just open up the air filter and spray some easy start and off it goes sweet as a nut! travelling home on the M5 last night, died on me in fast lane, managed to get onto hard shoulder, waited a couple of mins then started to turn over engine eventually the car started, off I went car sweet as a nut again, could do with getting this sorted or the car is going in the docks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

The issue that you are having is consistent with a electrically failing crankshaft position sensor which is very common on these vehicles and results in the problem that you are currently having. Replacing the sensor will fix the problem.