Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hi, I have a 1994 SL 280. My brake pads wear warning light

I have a 1994 SL 280. My brake pads wear warning light (circle with arcs that represent the brake pads) appears only when I press the brake pedal, then goes off. This has been happening since yesterday pm - how urgently should I have them replaced i.e.

1) how many miles of safe life might be left in them?

2) how soon before the shoes start wearing out leading to major expense?

Many thanks in advance.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help.

The brake pad wear indicator is as you say means the pads will be due for renewal or the pads have now reached the point of nearing the metal this in turn if left can damage the surface of the discs overtime or lead to lack of proper braking effort or in the event of emergancy stop situation..Its hard to say how many miles you do have left unless they are inspected to see what material is left..if they are extremely close to the metal backing of the pad..usually the inner pad/on the caliper piston side goes quicker - they need replaced..As for expense pads for these generally cost in the region of £20-£30 for a set depending where they are sourced and probably about an hour max for fitting..so isnt really an expensive job - best advice would be to have them checked out or replaced as soon as possible..dont forget if the pads are worn out this could lead to the fluid in the brake reservior to drop as the caliper pistons have further to go,so dont top up if its a little low..as when the pistons are pushed back the level should restore back up when the new pads are fitted - I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thanks v much for your detailed answer - just one point could be clarified: when you say £20-30 for a set, does that mean for pads on one, two or four wheels?

Thanks!

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Uusally the front pads would have the wear indicator as its these that do most of the braking effort and wear quicker unlike on the back..The pads set always come with 4 pads - 2 for each wheel/caliper on the front..But as above thats approx average costing..its really a case of having them checked out /replaced..if prefered you could get the back checked out too as precautionary check anyway...I do hope this helps further