Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Peugeot partner van (2009) has begun to play up. It starts

My Peugeot partner van (2009) has begun to play up. It starts fine, the engine runs fine, but will just stop, after the anti pollution light flashes. It then won't start for a while, then when it does it just dies again if you touch the throttle. Then it can start, take hight revs, but die when I drop the revs. After a while it just starts working again. I can't predict when it is going to happen. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'm assuming that this is the deisel engine so

1st consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

If OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.