Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My car started to miss fire about 12 months ago, but not all

My car started to miss fire about 12 months ago, but not all the time only sometimes. I took it into the garage, they couldn't find a issue. Then the car just stopped miss firing. Now the car is missing firing again after 12 months iv changed the fuel filter. However the car will only miss fire if the fuel is below a quarter of a tank. When over a quarter of a tank cars run sweet as a nut. But if low on fuel engine has even cut out on me. I have a nissan xtrail 2.2 diesel 2003 year of manufacturer. i have tried like redex in the car aswell, Taken it on a good run but still no change
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for contacting me,

I haven't received a reply to my question, If i haven't received a reply by Tuesday i will requesting a refund

jamie

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

Are there any warning lights coming on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No there are no warning lights, when took to garage there was no fault codes but has i say it stopped,

No it only happens if i am on under a quarter of a tank of fuel

This really sounds like a issue with the fuel pump itself, it is not uncommon for a weak fuel pump to only show symptoms when the fuel in the tank is below a certain point. The first thing I would suggest is to have a fuel pressure test performed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how much should i expect to pay for the test please

The test will only cost about a half hour of labor at the shops hourly labor rate.
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.