Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hi I own a Freelander 2.e HSE which has just been towed

Customer Question

I own a Freelander 2.e HSE which has just been towed back home as the clutch depressed and would then not clear. I have my fingers crossed that its not going to be a new clutch, but am interested to know is this a common fault and what is the likely cause of it.

Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

In what way has the clutch failed - the clutch pedal just fell to the floor and doesnt return or is the clutch pedal working as normal and you dont get gears to engage when the engines running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

First when I put it into gear it flew forwards like a learner driver. Then I had the clutch fully to the floor but couldn't put it into gear. Then the clutch just stayed to the floor

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am thinking maybe the master cylinder or the slave cylinder?

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there sorry for the delay..

It very possible then fault would be on the hydraulic control side unlike it where the clutch..if the pedal just slams to the floor and doesnt return then it means the system has lost pressure and thus this causes the issue getting the clutch to clear to get into gear..but yes usually if a cylindder has gone you will noticed fluid leaks out from either the gearbox area/ or within the footwell up at the clutch pedal box..as it uses the same fluid as the brakes..so certainly check in and around those areas for leaks etc and that should give you an idea which one has gone..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have checked the fluid level and it's just below the max so nit convinced now. I need to get some idea of how much this is likely to cost to repair. It drove normally this morning for thirteen miles then the previously described problem kicked in

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Yes you may see a small diameter tube from the side of the resevoir for the brakes that tube feeds the master cylinder which in turn feeds the slave cylinder..and drop in fluid in the reservior would suggest a leak..which it might be bes carefully checking for..if it drove normally this morning and the clutch felt fine until it suddenly slammed to floor would maybe suggest a fault with the master cylinder..the only way to rule out the clutch is to rule out all possible issues on the control side for the clutch..and only then has the gearbox to be taken out to inspec the clutch properly..however costing can vary alot with these aswell as labor rates..so it would be hard to say exactly..I would certianly double check both those cylinders or have them checked out anyway..I do hope this helps further..