Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

When I try to start my xjr1200 the engine tries to turn over

When I try to start my xjr1200 the engine tries to turn over slow then just a click charged and tested the battery 12v ok
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

The issue that you are having is the starter solenoid is electrically failing and is not strong enough to spin the flywheel over to start the vehicle. The starter will need to be tested and likely replaced.
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I work away from home so have not replaced anything yet but although my battery showed 12v when I put my test leads on and pressed the start button the voltage dropped down to 7v as soon as I touched the button does that still point to the starter solenoid or to the battery

Both can cause this issue, so I would have the battery and starter tested. Thank you.