Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

hi there my car bmw 1 series 2004 diesel as been bringing

Customer Question

hi there
my car bmw 1 series 2004 diesel as been bringing out smoke from the pipeline due to
torn turbo pipe and burning out oil i took it out last night and on the way there was serious noise from the engine and there was dark smoke every where and now the car wont start
my only fear is that what do you think is been affected on the engine at this stage
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

Was the turbo tested when the pipe was repaired?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not yet got the turbo replace or fitted on the car

is the mechanic that told me that i need the turbo pipe replace that will stop the exhaust from bleeding abnormally.

Ok the issue that you are describing is the turbo shaft impeller has failed and this caused the engine noise and the smoke that you were seeing as well as the vehicle not starting. This does not sound like the engine is damaged just the turbo.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

CAN YOU ADVISE ME IF THIS IS REPAIRABLE AND WHERE CAN I GET A REPLACEMENT OR CAN A MECHANIC FIX IT

The turbo itself won't be repairable the turbo will need to be replaced with a new turbo, you will need to purchase the turbo at the repair facility that the work is performed because in most cases the shop will not warranty the labor if they do not supply the part.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Mike

Can you advise me where in dublin ireland this can be done or do u have a rough estimate this can cost

Im not familiar with shops in that area, however most shops can make this repair. The amount is around 350
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

TELL ME MIKE WHAT WILL I TELL THE MECHANIC TO CHECK

NOW THAT I HAVE TOLD YOU THE STORY OF THE SMOKE FROM THE EXHAUST TO THE STAGE OF THE CAR OVER SMOKING MAKING THE ENGINE NOT TO START

You will tell the mechanic to check the turbo impeller to see if it is still intact and spins freely.