Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2007 yaris 1.3 . The clutch pedal needs to be depressed

I have a 2007 yaris 1.3 . The clutch pedal needs to be depressed right to the floor to change gear particulary 1st gear. There is no slippage in everyday use. The main dealer tell me a new clutch is needed ( 60000 miles). This seems to me to be a simple question of adjusting the clutch linkage so the pedal takes effect to disengage earlier. Your advice welcome, charles
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Where exactly,or roughly as far as you can tell - is the bite point when you feel the clutch coming in?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear XXXXX the bite is when the pedal is depressed almost fully to the floor.
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Usually the most common common signs of clutch wear is a very high bite point on the clutch pedal can too be sign the clutch friction plate is wearing as it has to travel further to reach the biting point - being a hydraulic clutch operation system there is no adjustment im afraid bar pedal height at the master cylinder push rod to pedal and that wouldnt solve the problem - as over all adjustment generally occurs as the clutch wears..so a good clutch would bite in the region of between the floor and mid way on the clutch pedal travel..if bite point is flat to floor then it possible you have drag on the clutch or its not clearing properly either a fault on the release system/hydraulic side either weak slave/master cylinder "prob try to bleed through again maybe and se if any improvement is felt"..or defective drive plate, buckled plate,weak pressure plate which releases the friction plate or seizure on spines/seized spigot bearing all of which would require inspection with the gearbox out im afraid..I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate