Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

I have a 1.6 astra 5 door very pleased with the car except

Customer Question

I have a 1.6 astra 5 door very pleased with the car except M.P.G average 23 per gallon I have tried differant fuels but cannot improve sorry I should have said it is a auto; I know this dosent matters but could fit a larger engine 1.9 for example
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

That fact that it is an automatic is the main reason for the poor consumption figure. This was never the most efficient setup.

There is nothing actually wrong with the engine which is why tuning, different fuels etc has not helped.

Fitting a larger engine is not an option. Your best option is to change the vehicle for a manual version which has a much better consumption figure.

Mark
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for information I already knew if you would like to buy the uprated car for me that would be fantastic as i am a 82 year old idiot thanks Alan

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry the information I gave was not what you wanted to hear but the autobox and this engine is not a good combination.

I was a Vauxhall master tech for 8 yrs and I also made the mistake of buying an estate version of this model and traded it back in after a year because of the consumption figure. There was nothing wrong with the engine, it just guzzled fuel.

Mark.