Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi My brothers car was due a Service and MOT but hasnt been

Customer Question

My brothers car was due a Service and MOT but hasnt been moved in about 6 months and wouldnt start due to flat battery, have been advised by the garage that the Cylinder Gasket Head has gone, is this possible if the car hasnt been moved

The car is a N reg Rover 200

thanks XXXXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

if the car wasn't filled with sufficent antifreeze then I'm afraid they yes its is possible that the head gasket could have failed as if the coolant could freeze this can expand inside the engine and crack parts and break seals

If a quick pressure test has been carried out by the garage then this would confirm if the cooling system is ruptered or not
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't really know much about cars but thus pressure test can this be done if the battery is flat or does this have to be done one battery has charge.

Thanx

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

the test can be done with the engine off so the battery doesn't need to be charged

however I'd also suggest using a battery chargerto get some power into the battery