Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a rover 45 everytime I turn the steering wheel left

Customer Question

I have a rover 45 everytime I turn the steering wheel left or right I hear grinding noise and can feel it whats the problem
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

if its only grinding when you turn the wheel I'd 1st check the condition of the lower balljoints

jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.

Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush

and yes its also worth pulling the front wheels off and checking for stones stuck between the brake caliper and disc