sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

My c max 1.6 diesel gives off plumes of black smoke under load

My c max 1.6 diesel gives off plumes of black smoke under load and at high revs when stationary. A quick scan ,[all i know how to do].Gave egr sensor A circuit low. What does that mean,if its the problem? Or is it something more sinnister, as in an injector re-build.
Thanks, Dean.
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following assists you.

A fault with the EGR valve will give the symptoms you describe, any exhaust gases entering the intake system when they shouldn't will starve the engine of fresh air so causing an over fuel condition hence the black smoke.

The EGR valves do give concerns on the Cmax most tend to be the valve has stuck.

The injectors on this engine don't give too many internal faults but externally it tends to be a case of the injector seals leaking which causes the combustion gases to blow past the injector, this can usually be seen by black molten plastic around the injector and you may hear the noise of the gas blowing past although to affect the engine running this needs to get very bad to the extent where the affected cylinder is losing compression.

You first need to pinpoint the cause of the EGR code and eliminate this before even considering a leak off test on the injectors, to be honest a leak off check doesn't usually show too much on this engine unless there is a serious injector fault.

The EGR circuit low is the PCM measuring the voltage to check the EGR valve position, as it is low this suggests either the valve is in an incorrect position or there is a wiring fault to the EGR so check the connector and the terminals in it for any sign of water damage and security.

I hope this helps, let me know if I can assist further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does the over fueling account for the 23 mpg or is this an indication of something more serious

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
23 MPG on a 1.6 TDCi is very poor and is probably due to having to drive the car a bit harder to get the same performance as before the EGR fault. Most of these engines get at least 50 MPG.
Let me know if I can advise any further.
Best regards,
Sean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No matter how lightly i drive i still return the same mpg.Is this the pcm going to some kind of get you home cycle,or something else.

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

if the PCM is in LOS normally the engine systems failure warning and amber MIL would be on, also the engine wouldn't rev over 3000 RPM and the car not go over 62 MPH.

Although the smoke is evident under hard acceleration the fueling will be incorrect however the car is driven, you need to make sure the EGR system is functioning correctly given there is an EGR DTC.

Let me know if I can assist further.

Best regards,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When the engine reaches above a third it wont rev over 3000 but there is no mil showing.

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

if the engine won't rev over 3000 RPM then this would indicate the PCM is running in loss, the engine should lack power as well though.

Let me know if I can assist further.

Regards,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The engine does lack power at the same time.Does all this still point to the egr or could it indicate anything else.

Thanks in advance,Dean.

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
as the PCM has logged an EGR fault and stored a DTC this would cause it to switch to LOS, the fault must be a hard code as otherwise the engine power would return when the ignition was cycled.
As I said earlier the EGR DTC needs to be resolved and the code cleared.
Let me know if I can assist further.
Best regards,
Sean.