Peterkmiles
Peterkmiles, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  13 years experience at the highest level of automotive technology
37560582

auto gearbox will not idle in drive position holding on brake

auto gearbox will not idle in drive position holding on brake stalls motor idle revs seem ok saab 93 tdi sport 06 model
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will wait a bit longer

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Peterkmiles replied 3 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I hope to be able to help you.

This vehicle is fitted with an af40 gearbox which is a vauxhall unit and renowned to be problematic, generally speaking the vehicle not releasing drive when stationary is either a failed torque converter or broken clutch plate in the gearbox.

I have personally experienced this problem with a vauxhall vectra 1.9 automatic which is the same gearbox, I had the same juddering at idle and cutting out but also drive slip when at motorway speeds. The problems was as I described above and resulted in a new torque converter and a gearbox rebuild at a cost of £2400.

One alternative that might be considered is fitting a second hand gearbox at a specialist, if you let me know your location I can guide you on some good ones.

I would recommend taking the vehicle to an automatic transmission specialist and having an appraisal done, these units have fairly generic faults so tend to be easily diagnosed.

I hope this helps but please come back to me if you have further questions but don't forget to accept my answer.

Peter
Peterkmiles, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: 13 years experience at the highest level of automotive technology