Peterkmiles
Peterkmiles, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  13 years experience at the highest level of automotive technology
37560582

in a collision, should the engine in an astra gtc cut off?

in a collision, should the engine in an astra gtc cut off? (especially when it has stop/start). Also, should the airbags deploy in a crash and rollover?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I would still like an answer to my question please if possible

Expert:  Peterkmiles replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I hope to be able to assist you.

The SRS (safety restraint system) is a very complicated system the looks at hundreds of factors when deciding what safety systems to employ when a collision occurs.

The 2 main factors when deciding whether to deploy the airs is the speed and direction of impact, I.e an impact in the rear will not deploy as it serves no benefit or a side impact may not deploy the steering wheel airbag.

In a roll over situation, generally speaking, the curtain (above the door) should deploy but it also depends on other factors like speed and direction etc.

The fuel inertia switches are generally only fitted to petrol cars not diesel ones but in a roll over situation should cut the fuel supply but again it depends on the type of impact.

I hope this helps answer your question, if it doesn't please come back to me but don't forget to accept the answer.

Best regards
Peter

Just wondering if you've had chance to consider my response and if there is anything else I can do to help?

Please remember that I only get paid for the advice I have given if you accept my answer.

Best regards
Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The impact to the car was on the front right drivers side of the car. The car also flipped onto the drivers roof which caved in and shattered the drivers window. Should these airbags have deployed. The car was also petrol so should the engine of cut off in this situation

Based on what you have described I think in principle the curtain airbag could have deployed and depending on the angle of impact possibly the driver airbag.

These systems have finite requirements to activate, things like seatbelt snot being own can have an impact of whether the airbag deploys too.

In my view, with enough speed and all the relevant systems in place they should have deployed, assuming the des system wasn't deactivated for some reason, I.e. The srs slight being one before the collision.

If you need to understand this for liability or injury reasons I would suggest writing to vauxhall UK, they have teams that can analyse the data contained in the vehicles srs ecu which will record speed, direction of travel, if seat belts were worn if the vehicle was skidding etc etc. this I will also define exactly why they didn't deploy if its malfunction or another reason.

Re the fuel cut off, yes it certainly should have cut the fuel supply in a roll over situation.

I genuinely hope you find the answer you are looking for and that the reason you need them is not due to a tragedy of some sort.

As always if I can help further with this question please come back to me. Even after you have accepted my answer you can still come back to me so don't forget to accept my answer or I don't get paid for the advice/support I have offered.

Best regards
Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

None of the airbags deployed in this situation and the engine was still running after it all. So should of the airbags deployed and the engine cut off?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The car was going under 30mph and the car pulled right which hit a parked car which resulted in the car flipping over. The car was preparing to stop. The seat belt was worn.

It's difficult to say with the speed being under 30 mph and the impact not being direct, there is a possibility the airbags would not have deployed but without the full crash data it's impossible to say.

The engine should have cut out though as the vehicle had an impact and rolled over.

I hope I have helped answer your question and you feel I have offered a good service. Please don't forget to accept my answer as you can still come back to me even after you have accepted it.

If this answer is not specific enough It might help if you tell me your reasons for needing to know this for me to be able to give you a fuller answer.

Best regards
Peterkmiles, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: 13 years experience at the highest level of automotive technology