Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

skoda octavia 1.9 pd starting problem. There seems to be no

skoda octavia 1.9 pd starting problem. There seems to be no fuel supply when starting, this occurs radomly, some times several starts together then ok for long periods. After cranking for a good while fuel seems to lifted up and the engine starts. When running all is fine . This car went back to the dealers 5 times under warranty. They said the problem was dirty fuel but tank cleaned more than once and problem still persists. Car only done 22000 miles
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry for delay in replying but have been out of the country. I do need you to assist me soon or I would like a refund of my payment to you. The problem still is in evidence at this time.Please deal with it asap or I will need a refund

Yours David

Hello David,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you .

Im sorry to see you have had a wait on your question.. I personally was actually off for a time, so I have only just seen your question listed..

So again - Im more than happy to help you -- If you can bring me up to date as to where you are with the issue currently, then we can progress....

I look forward to your reply -

Kind Rgds, MIKE...................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not sure what further info you need. Problem is as escribed in my original request for help. It has occured several times in the last month david
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again David.

Thank you for your reply.

By further info - I was just asking if you have had any further tests / checks etc done in the time since asking your question -

Assuming you haven't then - can I just ask, when you are cranking the engine, and it wont start - is it spinning the engine over ok, on the key... ie, is it spinning fast enough ? or is it on those occasions slow / sluggish?

Too - do you get any lights on the dash at all when this is happening?

Also - do you notice if the red LED flashes for the security system when this happens - or not?

Lastly - what was the last info you were given when you last had it in?

Please also give me the cars Full reg number -

Rgds, MIKE.................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

engine turns at full speed when cranking. car ecu has been checked several times by qualified audi/skoda has has shown no faults. Ihave 40 years in the motor trade and recognise the fault to be a fuel supply problem by the way it eventually starts. the fuel filter has been changed twice recently.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again -

Thank you for your reply - and further info.

It is best for us to know your experience - even at the outset really - as it can save a lot of time for us all / all we have no idea what experience a person has - Having experience such as you have all helps..

In that case - then I would say given your symptoms - so long as you dont have an air leak somewhere in the system, you must have I would say, a pump or injector/s fault... Obviously I cannot say which at this stage - they need testing off car by a diesel specialist. As you will know, these cannot be successfully tested otherwise.

You can test the whole fuel system with the likes of a Mityvac etc - for any air leaks - remembering that you can air ingress on a diesel but without diesel leaking out.. That would be worth doing first if you haven't already...before going down the pump line.

If then the basic fuel system is testing ok and you find no faults as above - and you are saying the "command" side is ok - then you need to be checking the pump / injectors as above - having them checked -the fault then has to be one or the other.

Now, this is all assuming you have had the likes of Vagcom on it -and no faults found with the various sensors - fuel pressure / priming and so on...

If you have not had it checked as above - I would suggest to do that before anything else regardless of any fault lights being on or not while running..

If there is anything more by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert