Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My daughters digital computer box in her car engine is flashing

My daughters digital computer box in her car engine is flashing critical. Will she need a new engine or could it be a faulty sensor or electrics?

Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help.

What sort of make and model - year and engine - is this vehicle?

digital computer box? do you mean the Engine mangement warning or a warning message on message screen in the vehicle?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Engine management warning I think. There has been nothing displayed inside the car.

Toyota opa 2003 engine possibly 1.4

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..firstly the engine management light is the cars ecu telling us the a fault has been logged - the only way to know or retrive those is by having the car plugged in diagnostically to see exactly which step to take as per checks etc..its possible it could only be a sensor/wiring if the car seems to perform ok at the moment..but if thats the case then i wouldnt imagine it be another engine needed..make sure it isnt running low on fuel..sometimes the ecu can pick up this is fuel pressure is intermitently getting low..so again the best step you would need to take or have to any way before you throw any parts at it would be to see what faults codes you have and then take it from there..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Robert. Further info please - it has been suggested a new digital box will resolve the problem. But that still doesn't tell us what the exact problem is only that there is one? So as you mentioned in your reply the car actually needs to be diagnostically tested to give codes relating to the exact problem. Have I understood correctly?

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

If you mean the cars need a new ECU..then it has to be properly diagnosed before you start considering repairing that which wont be cheap..its possible it may not be that at fault..but a fault elsewhere..thats why its key to have it properly diagnosed first/by somebody who has the proper equipment and expertise and then take it from there..I do hope this helps further