Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

just re-built 4litre V8 Land Rover Discovery 2 engine, has

just re-built 4litre V8 Land Rover Discovery 2 engine, has No oil pressure on start up it has a crankshaft driven oil pump and not the old camshaft driven type that needed priming with Vaseline, what could have I done wrong?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Even the newer oil pumps benefit from a bit of grease / vaseline packing on a completly dry engine

I'd suggest removing the oil filter then use a oil can to pump into the centre port until it fills up, let it drain then add some more

also ensure that the filter has oil in it too

if you still can't get pressure like this then I'd suggest pulling the sump off to check that the oil pickup is in place and its sealing o-ring hasn't been displaced