Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Dear Sir, concerning Isuzu Trooper 3.0 D, 2002, the engine

Dear Sir, concerning Isuzu Trooper 3.0 D, 2002, the engine is lacking power until it reaches 2900 rpm. The car has been serviced recently and the mechanic at the Isuzu Dealer had no answer to the problem as he cannot see any fault codes.
It seems to me that someting is preventing airflow to the cylinders below 2800/2900 rpm.
Best regards,
Henk
*****@******.***
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd say that either the EGR valve is stuck or the turbo isn't making the boost it should

check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Matt, thanks for your prompt reply. A.M. Phillip said that the EGR Valve was replaced. I do not know what the EGR valve is or where it is on the engine. I can see the turbo and it has a connection at the bottom flange of the exhaust section of the turbo itself, with a lever that goes to a small unit about 15 centimeters towards the front of the engine with a connection line to the air intake line to the turbo. When revving up the engine that connection moves approximately 1 millimeter but that is all. There are no split or cracked hoses and all looks very well maintained. I also do not hear the turbo. I am used to hearing the turbo with my KIA Sportage but this one seems very quiet.

Henk

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Hendrik

EGR = Exhaust gas recirculation

its a emissons device to allow a bit of exhaust gas back into the engine

the device you describe is the wastegate

this controls the level of boost from the turbo and if its sticking open then you'll get a lack of boost pressure

I'd say the next step is to measure the boost pressure as this will confirm if the turbo is the issue or not