Rob
Rob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years trade experience
16305601

My wife has just bought a 2002 model Toyota Avensis. She thinks

My wife has just bought a 2002 model Toyota Avensis.
She thinks the car is good but has only one complaint, namely a heavy clutch pedal.
As I am working abroad I have no way of judging.
Is this a basic trait of the car or something that can be fixed.
It has done about 120,000 miles, Steering and brakes are light and easy to operate.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to just answer.
The clutch pedal should be light to operate a heavy pedal is a sign that the pressure plate and clutch plate will soon need to be replaced.
regards rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Rob for your response.

I appreciate the "heavy' clutch could be a sign of the clutch plate and pressure plate assembly being on its way out.

However, with regard to my question. Is their a servo assisted clutch on this model of car and is it possible that this could be the problem.?

James 18 06 2014

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi James
this model is fitted with an external slave cylinder and the only problem they give is a leaking seal .
I have fitted many clutches on this model and for sure your problem is the worn pressure and clutch plate.
regards rob.
Rob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 years trade experience