Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 2001 Merc E 320 CDi estate tiptronic. On deceleration

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Merc E 320 CDi estate tiptronic. On deceleration in first gear there is a clanking noise - sounds like someting that is rotating hitting someting else metallic. Slows with road-speed not engine revs. Can make it happen by putting auto into 1st. Doesnt make noise on acceleration. I imagine it is in gearbox do you think? what might it be? cost to repair?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

From what you are describing the issue that you are having is consistent with the synchronizer bearing inside of the gearbox starting to fail and resulting in the problem.
The gearbox will need to be replaced or rebuilt.