Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 2005 Rover 75 Classic CDT Automatic (1950cc) The

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Rover 75 Classic CDT Automatic (1950cc)
The problem is that sometimes (becoming more frequent) it jolts and bangs when changing gear, usually when starting from cold. Up until now, if I stop the engine and restart the gearbox problem is rectified and runs smoothly. This does not always work now and sometimes I have to drive for a while, then stop and restart. Local garage unable to find cause of problem. Does it mean a new gearbox?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

The issue that you are having is consistent with the valve body inside the gearbox loosing pressure and resulting in the issue that you are having. The problem is when the valve body looses pressure the inside of the gearbox loose pressure and heat damage occurs to the clutches, bands, etc. The gearbox will likely need to be replaced.