sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

i have a 2004 fiesta zetec 1.6 when driving it wan;t pick up

Customer Question

i have a 2004 fiesta zetec 1.6 when driving it wan;t pick up speed but does eventialy what couid be the problem
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can be of assistance.

Is the engine running smoothly or does it judder when you accelerate? Are no warning lights showing?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

does not judder at all and no warning lights on just slow on picking up speed

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

does not judder at all and no warning lights showing takes time picking up speed

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

the most common cause of a lack of power on this model is usually caused by a misfire due to an ignition coil failure. Normally this would result in a judder though. Check that the output from the coil is OK using a pair of nylon pliers or if possible a scope to check the firing voltage and spark duration.

If the car has had a misfire previously it is possible for the catalyst to block up so not allowing the engine to breath correctly, this will cause a lack of power.

Other than these common concerns check obvious things such as fuel quality, air filter and fuel filter.

If there is a sensor or actuator control causing this I would expect the engine management light to come on as the PCM is very good at detecting concerns.

Start with these points, especially the ignition coil, let me know if I can advise further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.