Peterkmiles
Peterkmiles, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  13 years experience at the highest level of automotive technology
37560582

I had the front propshaft replaced. when testing vibrations

I had the front propshaft replaced. when testing vibrations started at speeds of 70+. I took it to another garage, they had both shafts tested at a specialist company, the balances were ok, they replaced a flange and the CV joint. Again vibrations were there, the garage put it on ramps and run the engine, there was a noise and vibrations coming from the transfer box. The transfer box was replaced, again on testing the vibrations started at 70+. At this point I thought best I check with a Jeep Specialist before I proceed Ive spent approx £700 so far. The vehicle is a Jeep Cherokee 2.5 2004
Category: Car
Expert:  Peterkmiles replied 3 years ago.

The transfer box vibrations are quite common on these vehicles, I would support the specialists advice especially with it in my the degree of parts already replaced.

I hope this helps, any further questions on this please feel free to ask but don't forget to accept my answer.

Best regards
Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The vibrations were not there before the repairs, I couldn't understand why it started. There are no gear changing problems and I have acceleration as normal. The vibrations are similar to what you get when you drive on the rumble strips on the motorway at first I thought that was the case. The vibrations come through on the steering wheel and decrease when I slow down when I get to 60 they stop ! Tyre pressures are correct and I was told the wheel bearings are ok.
Sorry I misunderstood what you meant.

I would still be looking at a transfer box being the cause of the vibration, I guess a good analogy would be when a wheel goes out of balance, you only feel the vibration between certain speeds due to the harmonic resonance frequency of the vibration.

It is unlikely to be caused by the previous work, it is most probably an unfortunate coincidence.

I hope this reassures you but if I can answer any other questions on this please let me know. Don't forget to accept my answer.

Best regards
Peer