Peterkmiles
Peterkmiles, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  13 years experience at the highest level of automotive technology
37560582

saab 93tdi sport auto.when gearbox in drive position car does

Customer Question

saab 93tdi sport auto.when gearbox in drive position car does not hold with footbrake i.e at traffic lights.the car will stall if not put into neutral.revs at 700rpm at idle should be o.k. this is very uncomfertable reversing can be a nightmare
Category: Car
Expert:  Peterkmiles replied 3 years ago.

My name is peter and I hope to be able to help you.

This vehicle is fitted with an af40 gearbox which is a vauxhall unit and renowned to be problematic, generally speaking the vehicle not releasing drive when stationary is either a failed torque converter or broken clutch plate in the gearbox.

I have personally experienced this problem with a vauxhall vectra 1.9 automatic which is the same gearbox, I had the same juddering at idle and cutting out but also drive slip when at motorway speeds. The problems was as I described above and resulted in a new torque converter and a gearbox rebuild at a cost of £2400.

One alternative that might be considered is fitting a second hand gearbox at a specialist, if you let me know your location I can guide you on some good ones.

I would recommend taking the vehicle to an automatic transmission specialist and having an appraisal done, these units have fairly generic faults so tend to be easily diagnosed.

I hope this helps but please come back to me if you have further questions but don't forget to accept my answer.

Peter

Just wondering if you've had chance to consider my response and if there is anything else I can do to help?

Please remember that I only get paid for the advice I have given if you accept my answer.

Best regards
Peter

Best regards
Peter