Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Hi I have a Renault Laguna Sport Tourer 1.9DCi 2002 model.

Hi I have a Renault Laguna Sport Tourer 1.9DCi 2002 model. The other day as I was pulling up in heavy rain the car cut out. Now it will not start, all the electrics work but the ignition lights don't come on and the immobiser light goes from flashing to solid red when the card is put in the reader.
When I press the start button nothing happens. There is a click when I place the card in the slot and also when I take it out, The alarm works also. Do you think this is an immobiliseer problem and if so what are we looking at price wise for a fix. Car is stuck outside my house. Should I scrap it?

Best Regards

Mick Greenwood
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mick,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shantal.

I still have not found an answer to my problem and would appreciate it if the question was left open.

If I do not get an aswer soon I will probably get rid of the car.

Best Regards

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mick and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you on this. Im sorry to see you have had a wait..

For this to have happened the way you described it Mik, it sounds like water / rain has got into the electrics... this will certainly cause this issue.

I note what you have done already - but first.. do check / double check, the connections to the battery - and the alternator to be sure they are tight and good.

Also Mik - trace from the battery , the neg wire to where it connects to the body - check that connection.
Then 0- check the cable that connects from the body to the transmission - check that connection / cable - any faults there will cause as you describe.

If you cure it as above, thats that.

If not - check the cable connection to the starter is good. That is difficult because of where it is - but it needs checking. Too - you will need a meter to check for power on the circuits there. You should have battery voltage of at least 12v there at the starter.. when the button is pressed as well as not. If it drops severely - when button is pressed - check the actual charge state of the battery. It may appear to have charged - but be faulty.

If its not that as above - then you need to be checking the fuse boxes -in the engine bay AND inside / under the dash...for rain water ingress.. This isn't easy because its not always obvious - but will need to be checked through.

Working through as above Mik you should find whats gone wrong - so let me know how you get on...

If there is anything more you need or would like to discuss - by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

.>> Meantime ...........Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds , MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert