Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

I have 2007 grand vitara 1.9 ddis, it has a serious screaming

Customer Question

I have 2007 grand vitara 1.9 ddis, it has a serious screaming noise when accelerating! Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hopefully i can help..

Going by your description - If the noise emiting from the Turbo housing - it posible the vane shaft has play in it..causing an inbalance from the turbo hence the screaming noise causing the vanes to touch the compressor housing - you need to remove the the intake pipe that leads to the turbo and feel for any excess play movement in the shaft inside the turbo and too it possible check for damage the vanes incase anything was ingested..also ensure the actuator is still able to move on the turbo and hanst jammed or stuck - you should be able to see it move when the engines revved up "vac tube refitted" the actuator will be the part you remove the vac tube from..check the tube isnt damage either or split..i do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it detrimental to the engine to keep running the vehicle?

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

In a way yes - the turbo essentially creates added boost,power and performance "that kick you get when it increase rpm" on the engine - if the turbo becomes faulty then you wont get that or very little power to be honest/load of smoke out the back in some cases..Its something to certainly have checked out than let it get worse - which means an inspection of what i mentioned above especailly so any foreign objects that may of been sucked in by the turbo or damage vanes/play in the shaft inside the turbo causing the vanes to contact the compressor housing hence the scream..

if thats where you hear the noise coming from..and isnt coming from any other part of the engine ie:- belt noise,engine pulley noise or any loose,split intake hoses,from vacuum control system..maybe have a listen again with everything back connected up and carefully listen to the turbo housing/centre core..if its coming from that and you've confirmed again - then you'll know whats needs to be done next to further confirm by checking above before possible replacement..also too check your oil level as the turbo does rely heavily on good supply of if the turbo when removed has been found to be starved of oil then further investigations need to be made to the oil supply and return side ans well as oil pressure..but usually with any turbo replacement those feed and return lines should be replaced..I do hope this helps further