Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Hi. Ive had my smart for two 2008 passion and from day one

Hi. Ive had my smart for two 2008 passion and from day one I have noticed a loud metallic click coming from engine on idling and manoevering. Don't notice it at speed. My husband and I stood listening to engine and we both agreed that it makes the metallic click noise then something speeds up (don't know what). Then it clicks and it slows down again. Don't know if this is normal but the clicks sound really loud. I have noticed people looking at the car when I am in a queue of traffic.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help you -

Noises per se , can be difficult for us to diagnose on line - but some will tie in with symptoms for us -

If you can describe it perhaps a little more clearly ... to inc when it happens... and if you can - where the noise seems to come from - ie.. engine.. gearbox - under the car... top / bottom of engine etc - and if it changes in response to engine speed etc... all that will help me to help you ...

Too - what sort of mileage is on the car - and what is its service / recent repair history ?

Kind Rgds - MIKE..................................
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Tina ..

I see you have viewed my info request as above but not responded as yet - If you can furnish me with the detail I asked for -that would just help me to help you with a more accurate diagnosis of your issues..

For now - with such an issue as you outline - such metallic noises can often be attributed to an exhaust noise / rattle - or a heat shield loose on the exhaust or engine... Or if it is in line with the rotation of the engine / speed etc - then its usually down to either one of the rotating components on the engine - ie, a belt driven pulley on the front of the engine - or an issue with the clutch area.. (on the other end of the engine )

The other -if internal - would be to do with the tappets in the cylinder head.

So I mention these things to give you something to go on / things that can be checked -and working through the list as above - you should actually find the issue you have... but - if not - or if there is anything else you need or would like to discuss - by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

.>> Meantime ...........Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

car is 2008 and done 34,500. FSH. We have discovered that it is something to do with the cabin air vents (cooling system). When I turn the fans off using the switch on the dashboard, the noise goes away. I have to have everything off. I cant use airvent fans, air con etc. Don't think it is an air con noise because ive only used that once. It is always turned off. My husband seems to think it is something to do with the air induction? I don't know if this noise its making is normal or not. Ive listened to another smart fortwo owned by someone at work, and theirs doesn't seem to do it, but I don't know whether they had their fans working in the cabin or not. I didn't ask because I don't know her. Might try and catch her again. To describe the noise when sitting in the car:- the engine speeds up slightly then I hear a metallic "click" and the engine settles down again. It repeats this over and over again every15 seconds or so. This is at idling or doing slow manoeuvres. I cant hear it at speed. When standing outside the car:- I hear the same thing, but the click is a lot louder. I have noticed that when the engine has been running and got up to temperature, the clicking isn't quite as loud. I think I will have to take it to a smart dealer and see if this noise is "normal". If it is, then I don't think I want to live with it. Idont think you can help me further without actually seeing and hearing the car but thanks anyway