sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

I have got thick black smoke coming from the exhaust mainly

I have got thick black smoke coming from the exhaust mainly when accellerating. I drive a 2litre diesel mondeo.
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I hope I can be of assistance.
Is this a 2001 to 2007 or a 2007 on Mondeo?
Let me know and i'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2001 to 2007

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2001 to 2007 mondeo

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
there are a few concerns that can give the symptoms you describe, by far the most common on this model is a split turbo hose, usually the hose from the intercooler to the EGR valve on the inlet manifold splits on the underside but check all the hoses from the turbo to the inlet manifold, look for signs of oil on the hoses that can indicate where the split is. If a hose has split then normally on acceleration you can hear a noise as the turbo pressure escapes.
The EGR valve can stick open, this results in not enough air entering the engine causing excess fuel which is why you get the smoke. The best way to check the valve is to remove it and spray WD 40 on the seat to see if it leaks past.
Black smoke is a result of excess fuel this can be due to a lack of air as in the 2 examples above but a faulty injector or low engine compression causing incomplete burning can also cause smoke.
Make sure the air filter is OK.
There are other problems that can give these symptoms but start with checking the above points.
Let me know if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.