Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Why does a car alternator generally utilise half wave three

Customer Question

Why does a car alternator generally utilise half wave three phase rectification for the field excitation? What is the problem with using a controlled (Mosfet?) full wave output as generated by the stator?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is just possible that I might have fathomed out the technical reason. It could be one of cost and crudity. I could explain my thoughts to a highly qualified graduate professional electronics engineer, if he or she would like me to discuss it with him on the telephone. This could be useful if other people ask the same technical question. I do not want to waste the money as it looks like it may be too difficult a question for you to answer easily. Maybe I should not have asked such a technical question.

Kind regards, ***** ***** XXXXXXXXXX. XXXXX XXXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is just possible that I might have fathomed out the technical reason. It could be one of cost and crudity. I could explain my thoughts to a highly qualified graduate professional electronics engineer, if he or she would like me to discuss it on the telephone. This could be useful if other people ask the same technical question. I do not want to waste the money as it looks like it may be too difficult a question for you to answer easily. Maybe I should not have asked such a technical question.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since my question is taking too long to get a satisfactory reply, I would like a refund in accordance with the rules.