Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a Citroen Relay 2.2 turbo diesel van. I have a problem,

I have a Citroen Relay 2.2 turbo diesel van. I have a problem, that when the engine gets hot and running constantly, on a motorway, you get to a slip road and it losses revs, ticks over and does not respond to the throttle. Sometimes it picks up and goes like it does when cold, sometimes you have to switch the ignition off for a couple of seconds, it then goes like normal. It does this before and after a new EGR valve has been fitted??? Help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

Are there any type of warning lights coming on at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Appologies for taking so long to get back to you.

After a couple of times the engine management light comes on. And goes back out when you restart the ignition. We have since put the van back on the diagnostic machine and comes back with the same code, EGR fault.

Mark

With the EGR fault keep coming back and the EGR has been replaced and eliminated, this is a turbo problem. The turbo impeller will start to fail and not spin fast enough and result in the issues that you are having and the EGR fault. I am also a warranty inspector and I have inspected this issue many times. The turbo is the likely problem. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, Just a quick thought, if its a turbo problem, why, when you switch the ignition off and back on does the problem disappear, and the problem only happens when the engine is upto full operating tempreture, runs fine from cold??

Mark

When you turn the vehicle off the turbo shuts off and then has to engage all over again, and it happens after warm because the internal bearing is getting hot. Thank you.