Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Mitsubishi L200 Warrior 2002 model Engine overheating. Thermostat

Mitsubishi L200 Warrior 2002 model Engine overheating. Thermostat removed, poor coolant circulation. Temperature gauge moves up and down from normal to high. No coolant contamination in engine sump evident on dipstick.Help!
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you on this..

Before we progress - you say the engine is overheating - is it really doing so... or is it just the gauge saying that ? Does it get really hot - push out water / over pressurise etc?

How long / what is the history to this? The more detail as to the fault and how it came about , the better ---

What mileage do you have?

Rgds, MIKE..................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, yes engine definately overheating. Prior to removing thermostat, coolant boiling in reserve reservoir after shutdown. When overheating now, on shut down opening the rad cap releases pressure and boiling occurs in reserve reservoir. The car will run ok for sometime, but after stopping /turning off engine for 1hour plus, the problem of oveerheating occurs after a number of minutes after engine reaches operating temp. The original overheating problem started approx 1 week ago. Mileage 116,000 miles.

Hope this helps!

David

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again David..

Thank you for your reply and further info.

Ok-the symptoms you have given me do paint a full picture and certainly does help.

I suspect, you have a failing water pump issue David.. what happens is, the impeller on the back of the pump in the engine block aperture, that pumps the water round, tends to either break up or come loose on the pump spindle - thus, it pumps sometimes not always - and / or, poorly.. either way, resulting in what you have.

Im afraid the only way to tell is to remove the pump to check / change.

But first - check the fan operation...

Other than that - the normal course of events would be to do a thorough / force flush of the main radiator / cooling system - under pressure - using a hose.. to clear any built up debris in the rad / cooling system - a build up of same will cause poor circulation - and overheating.. At that mileage , its worth doing.

IF you were to find that its not that OR the pump, then I suspect you have either a porous head issue developed or a fault with the head / gasket.

Bear in mind that in your case- ie, no oil in water - water in oil situation - if this has occurred, it means that the water / coolant is being superheated and steamed out of the exhaust system. Sometimes you will see this out the pipe as steam - but not always... the cat converter tends to boil it off - hence the confusion.

So it is a case of working through as above on this one David.. It will for sure be one or the other - I have given you the best / cheapest ways to work through it as any good garage would to arrive at the cause - to cure this for you. Im sorry I cant possibly say it will be this / that ... but thats the way to work through it as I say.

If there is anything more you need or would like to discuss - by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

.>> Meantime ...........Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.