Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a Mercedes 313D Sprinter which has snapped its crankshaft

I have a Mercedes 313D Sprinter which has snapped its crankshaft and needs a new engine.
However talking to several other operators in the area, I discover the same problem has afflicted at least 5. When comparing notes we have all found that the local dealer had, in all cases, fitted a new water pump within the last 3/4 weeks. Too much of coincidence and we will take legal advice on this, however have you hear of similar problems. The vehicle is now 6 years old, done less than 200,000 miles and we are its only owner. So its never been what you would call 'thrashed.'
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

What causes this problem is the crankshaft balancer teeth sheer off any allow the crankshaft to break which in turn causes internal engine damage.The water pump is often replaced as a mis-diagnosis in this situation. I am also a warranty inspector and have inspected this issue many times and this is a common problem, however Mercedes has not issued a recall of any sort.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I was satisfied with the promptness of the answer, I just need clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The crankshaft broke after the water pump was replaced. It would appear the sequence is - water found to be leaking - new water pump installed - crankshaft breaks. This would suggest the water pump replacement isn't doing its job, whatever that is and caused the engine

oil to burn and become solid then the crankshaft broke. If this is so we can surely claim against Mercedes. The original pump has lasted 175000 miles so why should a new one suddenly not be up to doing its job?

Nick van Rensburg

The crankshaft and the water pump are not related in this vehicle, meaning the water pump failing will not cause damage to the crankshaft. The crankshaft fails on these vehicles due to a fault with the balance shaft. Thank you.