Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Fault on 2008 Skoda Octavia with 1.9 TDI BXE engine code according

Customer Question

Fault on 2008 Skoda Octavia with 1.9 TDI BXE engine code according to owner car never gave a days trouble until one day he put 70 quid's worth of petrol into tank and drove about 10 meters when he realised what he has done turned it off straight away and I completely drained tank and changed fuel filter Refilled with diesel and started it .
The car was going perfect for about a day but after that when he started it in the morning when cold it drove prefect until about 8 or 10 miles when car was at working temperature car just cut out and wouldn't start for a while again but when left to go cold will start and drive perfect again but same thing will happen when warm up again changed injectors and fuel pump to no avail have fault on it
(Turbocharging pressure control lower adjustment limit penetrated)
What could be the problem with this one
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues
Also have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running

Also check that the vacuum hose running to the dump / turbo bypass valve is intact with no leaks as if the dump valve is opening prematurely you'll be losing all your boost

If this is OK then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

one other possibility is that the wastegate actuator spring has gone soft so allowing the wastegate to open prematurely - if your actuator has a threaded end you can increase the preload on it to see if this improves things otherwise these units are quite cheap compared to a new turbo so it may be worth trying a replacement

If this is OK then check for air leaks after the mass airflow meter - The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.