Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 2006 2.0 petrol scenic automatic. It seems that sometimes

I have a 2006 2.0 petrol scenic automatic. It seems that sometimes when slowing down or approaching a junction to stop the gearbox does not drop down into 1st gear , when you then try and pull away you are stuck in 2nd or 3rd and you pull away very slowly which can be dangerous as it happens without warning. There is also quite a "jump" between 1st and 2nd auto gear change - could they indicate an under lying bigger gear box fault ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

From what you are describing this is a torque converter issue, the converter has splines inside and they are starting to slip and cause the issue that you are having. The converter sits in between the engine and the gearbox and the gearbox has to be removed in order to replace this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike , it always happens first thing in the morning when I have to drive up a steep hill I was hoping it was maybe just a lack of oil in the gearbox. Is this a common fault on scenics ?

Yes this is a fairly common failure on these models, and will get worse with time. Thank you.