Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi. I have an 07 1.4 16v Roomster which has developed a coolant

I have an '07 1.4 16v Roomster which has developed a coolant leak when running. On investigation, coolant is dripping onto the driveshaft, apparently from the bottom edge of the plastic inlet manifold. You can see where the water runs down the rear face of the manifold before collecting at the lowest point & dripping.
It is hard to see any immediate cause (the area is inaccesible) but there only appears to be the single hose from the resevoir terminating in that area. The condition of the hose looks good, moving it when the engine is running doeas not make things worse or better. That hose appears to connect to a flat(ish) black plastic pipe, are they known to weep/break? Alternatively, is the inlet manifold water heated/cooled? If so, could there be a break internally? The area is not easy to get at, any advice on cause/repair/replacement please?
Mike.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

The area that you are describing that the leak is coming from is the manifold itself, the manifolds on these vehicles are known to crack over time and result in this issue. To correct this issue the manifold itself has to be replaced. The labor for this job is about 3 hours.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi mike, thanks for getting back to me.

So the manifold is water heated/cooled? The reason i ask is that i cannot see any obvious coolant pipes connecting to/from the inlet manifold & can't seem to clarify on the web.

Yes that is correct the manifold is water cooled and is connected by the inlet gasket.