Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

We have a kia sedona 2.9 diesel 2003. The alternator is starting

Customer Question

We have a kia sedona 2.9 diesel 2003. The alternator is starting to squeal a bit, we need to drive early tomorrow 500miles, if the belt/alternator pack up while driving, how dangerous is this. I presume the battery would keep everything going until it runs out of juice (10-20miles?). Many thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

Likely the alternator bearing is starting to fail and causing the belt to squeak, if the alternator locks up or the belt breaks it will not cause any harm to the vehicle however the vehicle will only be running on the power of the battery.
Once the battery runs down completely the vehicle will die out and not restart until the battery is charged.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, Mike, I was a bit concerned that the power steering or something serious may fail, but if it's only likely to be a gradual running out of chuff on the journey we will be able to stop under control rather than in catastrophe!

regards,

Tim

No problem thank you.