Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi I own a 2005 MG ZS TD+ which has just started to make a

Hi I own a 2005 MG ZS TD+ which has just started to make a strange noise!! I thought it might be the cat, the noise at first sounded like a vibration under the car, thankfully the cat's in one piece, then my attention was drawn to the downpipe in front of the cat as there is a mesh type heat shield that might make the vibrating noise!! I may be clutching at straw's with that though because I have noticed that the car has started smoking a lot more than it did before, is there something more sinister wrong with it? Please help I'm not sure where to start looking as it all only happens when the engine is under load!! Thanks, Barry.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

Are there any type of warning lights coming on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, no warning lights are on!!

From what you are describing this issue is consistent with the internal bearing to the turbo starting to go bad, this is what causes the noise and the smoke. The bearing begins to fail and the impeller shaft does not spin fast enough. The turbo needs to be checked as a first step.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike, I had a feeling it might be. I'll get it looked at asap, thanks again!

No problem, thank you.