Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Hello I have a renualt megane 2 (2004 model) with some electrical

Customer Question

I have a renualt megane 2 (2004 model) with some electrical issues.......
The car will not start, there is a warning message which come up on the dash board saying "steering not locked".
Things I have tried being a keen diy mecannic
1.I have removed the fuse box from the car and cleaned it out with a terminal cleaner and checked all of the fuses and terminals with a multi meter and replaced back into the car. There was some signes of water ingress, but all cleaned off and looks as good as new. Also with a bike pump with a foot ball nozel blow through all of the connectors.
2.Removed the steering lock and replaced with a reconditioned one.
3.checked the fuse box under the dash board - no issues with that.
Also I have tried to read some diagnostic codes using 2 readers and is states a connection "link error"
I have had the car to start, but when I started putting all of the wires back in to the correct position the car failed to start again.
Any suggestions would be great.
ps - This is not the first electrical issue with this shed of a car - 2 electric window regulators, boot lock button, heater controler, wiper motor, key card and a few more.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Andrew,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have still not resolved the problem, so would like a response to the question.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Andrew and Welcome -

My name is***** happy to help / advise you ..

Im afraid these cars are certainly not gremlin free when it comes to electrics - not least because water ingress is often a problem - getting into the electrics etc...

But the issue you have here now - is generally that you have a failed electric steering unit - You can check the wiring etc to it - but 99/100... its a replacement thats going to be needed Im afraid...

Most any small garage can do this for you and I would suggest to ring around for prices - you can save a lot of money that way on this job-- they will know whats wrong as soon as you tell them the message you have.... Im sorry its not good news for Andrew..

If there is anything more you need on this or would like to discuss - by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike

thanks for the initial suggestion.. but.

I have changed the steering lock for another refurbished one and still did not start. So I bought a replacement fuse box. .. and still did not start. I think there must be a loose connection somewhere or the ecu has gone.

Any more suggestions?

As the communication for the obd has also failed, would this point to any more areas to investigate?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Andrew -

The first thing to mention here is - are you trying to make diag contact with the correct equipment- Renaults are notorious for link errors - or No comms when using most anything other than expensive garage equipment - the cheaper / diy equipment will hardly ever connect - This is basically down to the protocols in the software that Renault use - So - if thats the case- you will need to get the car to a garage to the diag testing to confirm the issue you have with the steering -or use a mobile mech who has the correct equipment to come to you.

The other thing to mention is, second hand systems will rarely work and refurbished ones - some need to be coded to the car to work - you would have to speak to your supplier about that..they do things differently - is, some are ready coded -others not and so on. I can give you a site to look at / company that will give you more insight on this if you wish but your problems are not at all unique - again, these Renaults with the diagnostics etc are common for "issues".

I would suggest given your circumstances - speak to the supplier of your re furb unit - see what they have to say - and then most likely you will need to have it code read to get any further with this... and so then you will have to have it code read at least - as above to get anywhere..

Let me know if I can help you any further at all..

-- For now I do need you to click on the "OK / Excellent ratings" for me at this point please - and I Thank you in advance for that.

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I have been waiting for a well reconmended auto electrician to spend some time on my car. (he was busy with work and holdiays)

He has checked the car and seems to think that the imobiliser unit, which is located above the glove box has gone.

So I am now at the point where the car is worth about £1000-£1200 in full working order and do I spend more money on possibly getting it repaired, or sell as it as spares or repairs? And a visit to Renualt is not worth the value of the car.

However, I have seen on ebay a ecu set for £70-£120 (link below), this includes the fuse box, key card, key reader, steering lock, ecu and imobiliser unit. Is it advisible to change these? Is there anything else that would need changing or coding?