Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

sat nav gives a message in English and Japanese refer to manfacturer

Customer Question

sat nav gives a message in English and Japanese refer to manufacturer unable to read disc
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.

Ross :

Hi my name is Ross, I'm a car technician and I’ll help with your question.

This is a fault which is commonly caused by the laser on the DVD Disc drive. Unfortunatly this is often a hardware fault with the laser electronics within the drive which requires the drive being sent to an electronics specialist for repair, there are various companies which can do this, however your local Toyota dealer will also be able to take care of the problem.

Before you do this, remove the DVD Disc, and insert upside down, wait for the message to appear, then put it back in the correct way, this forces the laser to move its full extend when attempting to read the disc, if this fails, a CD/DVD Cleaning disc can cure the problem as often this is caused by dust or a small amount of dirt on the lens.