Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I am dealer just starting out, where is the best place to buy

Customer Question

I am dealer just starting out, where is the best place to buy cars that can be sold on quickly without doing any work to them, I only selling my cars on finance, and auction is out of the question, since i don't have any car buying experience or even a good level on mechanics, I have looked on autotrader seen some, but the cars need mot and service then I can buy them basically.

Thanks, Jamie
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.

Ross :

Hi my name is Ross, I'm a car technician and I’ll help with your question.

Ross :

Having worked in car sales for a long time, i have tried many different ways of obtaining vehicles.

The best way to get cars in roa

Ross :

d worthy condition is to visit main dealers

Ross :

All main dealers will take in used cars in part exchange, these cars are usually sold on directly to traders such as your self, obviously its very difficult to guarantee you will get cars that don't need any work doing, in fact its almost impossible sometimes

From my experience in this sector there are a few things to do.

Firstly visit main dealers and introduce your self to the sales managers as a trader, ask about their PX Vehicles and offer to underwrite them, the dealers will then call you to ask a price that you would offer on the car, this is then used to negotiate the deal between the dealer and customer. If the customer goes ahead with the PX, the car is yours for the price you offered.

Don't just choose main dealers, find both small and large used car sales companies, these are often the best to get the cars from.

Choose cars that have a long MOT, and preferably some tax, a long MOT means there is less risk you will need to carry out work and tax helps a car sell!

Most importantly, you need to accept cars will suffer problems, if not when you buy them, they often can come back with problem shortly after, go and talk to some small independent garages and negotiate a good hourly rate for your sales cars. find the best offer with the best equipped workshop and use them for any repairs necessary and carry out MOT Tests for you.

Once you have had a few cars with MOT in good condition, invest in some cheaper cars without MOT, they are much cheaper to get hold of, and usually will only need a small amount (if any) work to get 12 months MOT on it. It can be a bit of a gamble sometimes, but 9 times out of 10, the cars we buy only need a very small amount of work to get them ready for sale and nearly always make a healthy profit.

Ross :

I hope this helps, If you need further assistance please feel free to ask, otherwise a positive rating for my answer is much appreciated, thanks, Ross.