Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Soft Top Malfunction

I have an Audi cabriolet and would like to find a decent mechanic to help me sort out my malfunctioning roof - I live in the Surrey area

I currently have to lock the roof manually as the electronic system is not working, I have a flashing alert on my dashboard warning me the soft top is not secure - but it is!

I have been told it could be the brushes and possibly the hydraulic fuel being low -

I need guidance on this issue

Many thanks Ruth

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you -

With this situation, if you are sure it is indeed locked / latched ok - then the fault is most likely with one of the switches. These switches , as they switch when the locks latch, send a signal to tell the computer on the system, that the roof is closed. If one of these is faulty ( or even wiring to it ), then you will have what you have.

So thats the usual fault - Its a case of tracing the fault down. The best way - quickest and most accurate way to trace that down, is to have either an Audi / VAG dealer plug in diagnostic equipment to the card OBD / diagnostic port - and that then quickly will tell the tech just which switch is at fault ( or whatever the fault might be. )

Honestly, you can spend hours trying to locate and cure these faults - Its mush better to have the plug in test done as above and it takes minutes to trace it -and then its can be sorted both accurately and cost effectively.

You wont have to use a dealer for the tests as above - If you have a Audi specialist / non dealer independent near you - they can do it for you ... (This site HERE..( click the link, ) may help you find a garage in your locale )..or of course any dealer can do this for you.

If there is anything more you need on this or would like to discuss - by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again -

This is MIKE who answered your question as above - Im just checking in with you to see if you need anything more at all - Please do let me know if you need anything - Or - if we are done, per the way justanswer works, I do just need you to now at this point , click on the "OK / Excellent ratings" for me please as that is how Im credited for helping you - Thank you again.

Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.