Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

i cant lock my car and i have to leave the window open an start

Customer Question

i cant lock my car and i have to leave the window open an start the car before i open the door so as the immobilizer does nt come on as my key fob stopped working.we have changed the battery several times and i bought a new car is an mgf .i dont know what to do
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i still need you to find out please
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you ...

Before we progress - I need to know what system you have.. The MG has two different security systems depending on year -and you have not stated the year.

Please tell me the year of the car -

Also - please describe the remote - ie, is it a round / circular remote with 2/3 buttons... and it may say Pektron on the underside... with MG in the middle on the face?....or is it a 2 button black remote - with Lucas written on it?

Now too - what is the background to the fault you have... what exactly happened etc?

Rgds, MIKE....................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi mike it is a P reg which is 1998 i think and a 2 button fob. The problem started about a year an a half ago for no reason, i went to open the door an i could nt unlock it. We changed the batter, changed the fob, went back to the original fob. If u opened the fob an pushed against the battery it wrked. Then it wrked for a little bit. It works now an again but i ve been stuck for hours so now i get in through the passenger door to start it bfore i open the drivers door.or i start it through the window bfore opening the door because as soon as u open yhe door the immobilizer goes on
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply and further info..

This then doesn't resemble a fob fault - not if you can start the car in the way you are describing - because the fob operates the immobiliser as well as the central locking system ( CDL)

So, the problem would appear to be either, in the wiring to the car door lock on the drivers door... check the wiring where it comes from the car body to the door through the tubing that you see when you open the door -between the hinges... You need to open up the tubing to check for any damage to wires there... OR - the fault is with the door lock mechanism inside the door there - and that is common on these. For that - you will need to remove the door panel to gain access to the inside of the door to deal with the problem as found.... Once in there, you will be able to determine whats what and sort that then - Sometimes its a broken wire there - at the lock - but you need to check as above.

So thats the way forward on this one from what you gave outlined to get this sorted for you..

- By all means let me know how you get on / or if you need anything more at all on this.....

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

This is MIKE who answered your question as above - Im just checking in with you to see if you need anything more at all - Please do let me know if you need anything - Or - if we are done, per the way justanswer works, I do just need you to now at this point , click on the "OK / Excellent ratings" for me please as that is how Im credited for helping you - Thank you again.

Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.