Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

The red streeing warning light has come on ,new battery checked

The red streeing warning light has come on ,new battery checked alternator 14v streering very heavy what to check next
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you-

You have done the right thing in checking alternator output / battery condition etc - all that has to be ok as faults there can cause such issues with electronics.. Your 500 has what is called Electronic power steering -so any faults there would cause this..

Evidently though thats ruled out - so now as you ask..next step? You need to have the car plugged in to a suitable diagnostic machine now. You will need garage help for this Im afraid -either dealer, or any local garage that has suitable test equipment.

This equipment will electronically check the power steering for relevant fault codes which will then direct you to the fault - be it the unit itself or whatever it might be.

That is the correct next step on this now to avoid unnecessary expense and to cure this issue properly. The red light is telling the computer on the car has detected the fault and logged a fault code for it - so thats the way ahead for now....to get this sorted out.

If there is anything more you need or would like to discuss - by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.