Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

My partner and I recently bought an Audi A3 from Car Giant,

Customer Question

My partner and I recently bought an Audi A3 from Car Giant, 09 plate in April on finance, it had a relatively low mileage and was in good condition and after taking it for a test drive it seemed fine. Now since we have parted with our money, we have had to return the car to them to fix a problem with the DFP which lights up on the dashboard. They fixed the problem last week. This week the DFP light has again reappeared.

What I want to know is, is it possible to get a refund? We now have to return the car back to them again to fix, which is becoming an inconvenience as we bought the car for town driving and to take our child to nursery. When I asked them why this would happen so shortly after we bought the car they said that it was down to the fact that we hadn't taken it on the motorway and that it needs to go on the motorway once every week. I know nothing about cars so I was quiet annoyed about this because we don't have the time to take the car on the motorway every week. Your help would be great.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE, Im happy to help / advise you on this issue.

The first thing is, if you have been misold the car - ie, you told them the car was for just town driving and never motorway / long distance use... and they said it will be fine - then you can argue that you have since found that this is indeed a common issue with the DPF systems clogging - on just town use / short journeys -and because of that, you would like to have your money returned or change it for a petrol model.. which don't have the DPF issues. This too as above will depend on how long you have had the car- you don't mention.. but a few weeks given that you have had them have chance / given them chance to fix it, is not unreasonable... Really you would need to outline the above to them - and I would suggest not to bother with the salesman -you need to talk straight to the manager about this.

On the issue with the car itself - it is noteworthy that the fault will not clear after a good run on the motorway etc. This is a known "thing" to do when the DPF light comes on - to explain, this forces whats called a re generation & clean of the DPF system - and then the light goes out and off you go again. But if the light keeps coming on again - then its not simply a clogging issue -there has to be a fault - be it with a sensor / part of the system or the DPF itself needing replacing. The DPF is not cheap - several hundred pounds in some cases and hence, thats why they will not be quick to renew it.. They may say that they will though.. and you may be happy with that - and if you are.. if you want that particualr car.. then do bear in mind again though that periodically you will have that same issue cropping up - as any diesel DPF systems are not designed for town / local use continually. ( Indeed this issue has been on the BBC Watchdog from time to time re these DPF issues.. you could google that , you will find it.)

So thats the situation by way of an overview and explanation as to the issues you have - I would suggest you work through as above to get this solved one way or the other. As to how fast they would be to swap the car for another or refund you will depend on how long you have had the car as I mentioned above -and whether your usage / planned usage was mentioned when you bought the car etc..and too, how decent the garage is to deal with - But the above should help you with arming you with the knowledge etc -Let me know how you go.

If there is anything more you need or would like to discuss - by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

Please note- I do have to be off line for a while now - so should you need to come back to me / need to discuss this further, please be assured I will get back to if needed as soon as I return, which will be later this eve.

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Tristan..

I did reply to this afternoon within 16 mins or so of your posting your question - Im just following up with you as I see you have not returned / viewed my answer for you - I will copy it over for you below just in case of a problem - my answer was as follows:

Hello and Welcome -

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

Just to let you know that we have had the car since April 26th 2014, so about 2 months. Does this suffice and is it a policy of Car Giant to refund?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Tristan -

Thank you for your message / reply / further info..

To be honest with you , the general rule for rejecting a car is that it has to be done in a "reasonable amount of time " .. That is a somewhat loose term - but usually in practice this means in a matter of days or possibly weeks - not months. Really should you wish to pursue that and they will not budge, then I would suggest to get specific help on that from your local TSO - Trading Standards Office -who will have some "clout" with them on a local basis. As regards their policy, I honestly cannot say - I know what you said they said - ie, "its not our policy" - but that you would need to take up with the management of the dealership - all dealers are different in that regard... but again - as a general rule, the above applies.

I hope that all that I have outlined has and will help you Tristan.. Im happy for you to let me know how things go and to help you further if at all needed..

Meantime - I do just need you to please click on the "OK / excellent ratings" for me at this point please Tristan so that Im credited for helping you - Thank you again..

All the very best with this - MIKE.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Tristan -

This is MIKE who answered your question as above - Im just checking in with you to see if you need anything more at all - Please do let me know if you need anything - Or - if we are done, per the way justanswer works, I do just need you to now at this point , click on the "OK / Excellent ratings" for me please as that is how Im credited for helping you - Thank you again.

Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.