Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

My main dealer has told me I need a replacement ABS. The internal

My main dealer has told me I need a replacement ABS. The internal failure code they have given me is 1200 14 / 3 14 (don't know if this is right). I am loathed to get a new replacement as it would cost nearly as much as the car is worth. In addition the ABS light on my dashboard has not lit up. It goes off after about 1sec of switching on the ignition.

A couple of questions:

1. Can you tell me what this failure code means, and
2. Do I really need a new replacement

Mark
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is***** happy to help / advise you..

Can you please tell me what the fault symptoms are - what is the issue you have / problems with the car?

Rgds, MIKE.....................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike, this the problem. There are no symptoms that I can see and the ABS light has not come up on the dashboard. The dealer is just saying that the ABS system needs replacing because the following error code(s) have come up on their system. 1200 3 / 14 3.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi there Mark -

Ok - I asked about symptoms because this is not an unheard f situation , ie, where a dealer or garage runs a fault code check as a matter of course and then comes up with a fault code - regardless of whether you actually have any issues or not. If your ABS system warning light is working as it should, then the system in itself is working fine -and within spec... hence there really is nothing to worry about. As soon as the computer for the ABS system sees any fault that takes it out of spec, you will find the ABS light coming on and staying on.

Another thing to bear in mind Mark, is that some garages have been known to tell the owner of a vehicle that a car has faults - when it hasn't.. It has to be said, that sadly, this does happen.. Added to that, I cant find anything anywhere in the different databases I have that relates to anything like that "fault code" - so whether its a true fault code or not... you see where Im at..

If you are concerned - I suggest have a different garage run a fault code check Mark and see what / if that brings anything up - but as it stands at the moment.. I really don't see that you have any problems there with that ...

If there is anything more you need on this or would like to discuss - by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.