Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

rover sdi 2600s appears to suffer from fuel starvation when

rover sdi 2600s appears to suffer from fuel starvation when no forward movement ie ticking over, re-starts after fueling up but then no pwer and will not re-start until temp gauge shows up to 50% drop then will run okay until stopping again.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you ..

Can you please tell me if the parts you have replaced are new... and also, if they have been changed because of this issue you have.....?

Too - what other tests / checks have been done?

Also - is this an auto or manual?

Will the engine itself rev up while standing in those circumstances?

Rgds, MIKE....................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the parts are new apart from the carbs. these where from a manual choke version car and yes all the items changed because of the problem.

the electrics where checked for voltage when off and running.

the car is an auto.

the engine will not start until the engine temp has dropped from the gauge temp of around 88 or half way to nearly 1/4 of the gauge.

then it will fire run normally without a misfire..

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Stephen,

Thank you for your reply and further info -

It takes me back a bit but I do remember these issues ( along with others) on the Sdi you have... and I actually have on file that Ive had for a long time, an article from somewhere on the web from years ago, that I saved -to do with this issue- and I will give it you.

I was going to send it you as a pdf but then thought better of it - I will give you the web address because there is a whole lot more info on that website that may help you with other things in future..

But yes, this issue you have certainly reminded me of the issue with the hot start device and I believe this is your problem - so - the article is HERE - click the link to go to that Stephen.

Rather than type out the info you may as well read it through there - Im sure you are going to find that will cure this issue for you - it was a known issue at the time with these models.. In fact the later ones had the same issue - the injected ones... but that was a different "fix" altogether.... but that as above, is for you.

If there is anything more by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks but manual carbs/inlet manifold where removed and a manual choke set up was fitted.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hello again Stephen -

Thank you for your reply...

Yes that is indeed what I understood you had as the set up...

I did my early training on these Stephen so Im fully aware of how they were - Of course, people do change things on them over the years, but the carbs are still the same - as a unit if you understand what I mean -

The article I have given you and the info does apply to what you have - in that the FASD is usually retained on a manual choke set up - that needs to be verified.

Let me know how you get in... but - if its not got the FASD arrangement now - then the fault is 99% likely to be down to set up the carbs.... They need to be set up using a proper twin carb set up tool for them to operate properly.

This assumes the manual choke itself is indeed set up properly also...

So one way or the other - thats the way forward as above on this Stephen.

By all means get back to me if you need anything more..

Please do click on the OK / Excellent ratings for me now at this point - Thank You...
and again - you can get back to me anytime if needed still.

Best Rgds, MIKE.