Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi, I have problem with my Land rover freelander: as I drove

Hi, I have problem with my Land rover freelander: as I drove yesterday, my temp gauge speedo and all dash lights went out plus all indicators.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** happy to help / advise you ...

With this situation , this is often either failure of the dash / cluster as a unit..or a faulty BCM - Body control module - which controls among other things - the dash. It does happen on these Im afraid...and its hard to know at this point just what the fault will be.

You will have to have a plug in diagnostic done Im afraid - This is not a fuse or such issue.. This will tell then by means of fault codes which way you are heading - it will tell you if the BCM is working or not - therefore , whether you have a BCM, dash / cluster fault etc -and therefore which way next.

There are specialist companies that repair / recondition these -(both the clusters and the BCM's ) - they advertise on google widely - or I can give you a contact... Its then just a case of sending your cluster unit to them for test / repair... This option is considerably cheaper than a new / replacement unit -and the added benefit of doing that is that you retain your original mileage - and you have no added "coding" costs - which are needed when you have a replacement unit fitted.

Assuming you have no wiring faults / issues -you should always check all the wiring through for any damage / chaffing etc -and also too, all the earth points are good -

After that - if all is good, then- you might try a reboot ... The dash cluster is a computer in itself and they can and do sometimes "glitch"...just like any computer..

So - what you can do if you wish to try this is - Have the keys out of the car... Disconnect the vehicle battery cables- and then connect them together ensuring a good connection... tie with a wire if needed to reach each other.

Leave like that for 30 mins - then disconnect them - and re connect to the battery - and re try it. If the re boot has worked, all will be well again... If not - then you have the issue as above Im afraid...and you then need to have the systems read / checked and then go from there to get this sorted for you ..

Im sorry I cannot say it will be this / that etc... that as above is the way to work through this now.

Bear in mind too - if you do the reboot procedure , if you have the original radio, you will need your radio code after. Be sure you have that -or you can be re advised of it by any LR dealer if needed..

If there is anything more by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much I will try to do that. Thank you

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
..You are very welcome...

All the very best - I wish you well.. and Thank you for using myself at justanswer.

Anything else ever, you know where I am ;)

Kind Rgds,. MIKE.