Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Hi i have an alfa giulietta 2010 and the engine management

Customer Question

Hi i have an alfa giulietta 2010 and the engine management light has come up. I have got it diagnosed and it said it was an engine oil pressure senor, but when i got that changed the symbol still stayed up. So i got it diagnosed again but this time by the alfa dealership and they have told me its a electrical problem. They have given me an error code of P1540-12 which means (variable displacement oil pump electrical failure-circuit short to battery). Now what i want to know is what parts do i have to replace and how much does it roughly cost and also is it something serious? Please if you can answer my questions i would be grateful.

Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** happy to help / advise you -

With this issue that you have - as the dealer has told you what they have - then the problem -root problem, must be in the wiring - or, bad earths on the car.

Bad earths are a common fault - I would first suggest to check/ have checked all the earths - both to the body -on the bulkhead - and those on / attached to the engine etc... Very often such a fault is found to be such.

Now if its not that - then your fault is usually in the wiring loom.... Unfortunately, there just is no silver bullet fix to this - its a painstaking job that involves checking the wiring looms right through - What tends to happen is the wires crack on the insulation inside the outer insulation in the loom - and shirt now and again to each other... So as you can imagine - its a case of stripping the wiring back until you find the cause of your fault.

As a tip, its a good idea to first check the whole of the looms for any signs of burn marks or chaffing on the engine / trans etc - as often thats the first signs of trouble.

As regards ***** ***** afraid its impossible to say - one because garages / auto electricians ( which I would suggest to use ) - charge different rates around the country -and two.. no one knows how long a job like this will take... One could find the fault in an hour or it may take several - thats the truth of this issue Im afraid.

But thats the way to work forward on this one now to get this sorted for you given what you have outlined --

If there is anything more by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

** >> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks mike. But im wonderin isit better to go to the dealership in order to get this problem fix?. They have already told me that they have to find what is coursing this problem which they will charge me an hourly rate. That could take hours before they even charge me for the real job or isit easier once they have located the source of the problem?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply..

There's two schools of thought on this - especially given the age of the car- 2010.

Coupled with that - if you have a full ALFA service history - If you have - then given the complexity of the issue, I would be approaching the dealer and saying look... as above.. and I would expect some help here as this could turn into an expensive job and I don't see why I should be paying - at least in full , for it - again, considering the above. You can ask them to contact ALFA Hq for help from their tech dept as well - and to have them ask for financial help toward the cost of repairs...

If the car was older and had no service history etc - then the above would be pointless - but I think you should consider that approach on reflection... see what they say - and go from there...

If they are not at all forthcoming - and Hq declines -- then you would be in my opinion better having a good local auto electrician on it... thats all they use - their own techs / electricians --- and they are not specifically trained on this issue any more than your local auto electrician guy.... If they were - they would confidently have this sorted in a short time -but no - they have to "look for the fault" -same as anyone else...
So- given that - its a common sense move then to use someone who isn't charging dealer hourly rates - you could save a lot of money that way !

But I would approach them as above first - and push them on it certainly if you have full service history with them... and then go from there - Let me know how you get on...

Best Rgds, MIKE.