Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

i have a saab 95 2.2 diesel it has problems starting with key

i have a saab 95 2.2 diesel it has problems starting with key it will turn over most times but seems to have trouble when you turn key all dash lights come on but wont turn over take key out a couple of times and put back in and it seems to start once started drives ok
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As no one has answered to my question the. Yes I do want a answer please i take paying 22 pound for help that is why I came to u
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
no one has answered to question since it was posted
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome--

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you... Im truly sorry to see you have had a wait..

Before we progress - please tell me ALL that has been done / checked / tested... and any OTHER parts if any replaced , other than the crank sensor....

Too- has it had a fault code test - and if so , what codes were retrieved?

Also - when you crank the engine and it wont start... is the engine spinning over fast / slow / sluggish - ?

The more you can tell me the better I can help - to inc the answers to the above..

Please also give me its full reg number - and mileage...

Rgds - MIKE..................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only parts changed is the sensor for crank shaft
It had fault code test only crank sensor was effected no lights on dash
When tiring to start there is nothing happening as to engine turn over as it seems as though the battery dead as no sound as u turn key some times it try to turn over it it doesn't start next time it just turns dash lights on nothing else car is saab 2.2 tld RF03KTG mileage 127000
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply - Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner.

Ok - with this... you could have a key barrel / ign unit fault- its hard to say - because you could just as easily have a starter motor issue... ie - you say trying the key several times sometimes it will work - well yes that could be the ign barrel / unit faulty - or it could just be that the starter motor itself is faulty and works after several ties..

So - the way forward.. You need to be testing the circuit... You need to connect a 12 v tester to the starter motor - Test the large cable connector there - you should have 12v / battery voltage there all the time... check the tightness of the connections are good.

Locate the small wired connector - check its condition - a loose connector there will cause exactly the problem you have - this is the ign trigger wire. If its loose - tighten it and re try . That would cure it.

If its not that - test the circuit - have the tested connected to that wire - then operate the key. The wire should show 12v / batt voltage when the key is in the start position... If not - then you have a fault in the ign unit / circuit. If you do - and the starter is not turning the engine -you have a faulty starter motor.

So thats the way forward on this now to determine the fault.....

Im very pleased to have helped you ..... Let me know if you need anything else..

***** >>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert