Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I am unable to move the gear lever on my 1979 classic mini

I am unable to move the gear lever on my 1979 classic mini across to reverse position. !st 2nd 3rd 4th all select easily. Is this a remote selector problem or gearbox problem? What will be the cure for this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

At this point its not possible to say just what the fault is- what you need to do is disconnect the rod from the gearbox link.

Under the car - you will see where the rod from the lever connects to the larger round connection - just before the gearbox.. Drive out the roll pin with a suitable punch and hammer - uncouple the rod - and then try your lever into the reverse position..... That will tell you if you have a fault on the rod / selector / under the gear lever - or , in the transmission.

Most likely it will be in the trans - but thats the easy way to find out.

If there is anything more by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

** >> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again -

The system is telling me you have viewed my answer to you as above - and it also says you have replied - but I see no reply from you ..

This could be a glitch - if so - please re type your reply ... then I will get back to you.. OR - if not and we are done - please just click on the OK ratings for me now - Thank you.

Best Rgds, MIKE.